Monday, June 10, 2013

I'm Tired...

I’m baffled by the woman who spends so much time finding fault with her mother in law that she cannot appreciate and acknowledge the fact that the woman she constantly belittles raised the amazing man she claims to love. It defies logic.

I’m confused by the parent who chooses to focus on the fact that the grumpy neighbor swore at her children while scolding them for throwing rocks in his pool. Get over Mr. Crabby’s word choice and teach your kids to respect others’ property. Having your little bumpkins apologize to Mr. Grumpy Pants wouldn’t hurt either. Maybe he and his foul mouth would learn something in the process...

I’m tired of hiring a “professional” to provide a service for me only to walk away feeling I could have done a better job myself. Warranties mean nothing in the face of shoddy work and a dissatisfied customer. Unfortunately, you don’t always get what you pay for, especially if you are a perfectionist.

I’m disgusted by surly teenagers who have not been taught that the phrase, “Sit down and get to work,” is a command, not a debatable request–especially when issued by an adult. I am ever baffled by teens’ sense of entitlement which gives them the audacity to argue with a grown up or authority figure as though directives are somehow rude and belittling when directed toward them. It offends every fiber of my being.

I’m ashamed of the parent who upon finding out that Johnny has twelve missing math assignments immediately begins to question the teacher’s classroom practices and procedures rather than placing the blame where it rightfully belongs. Get out the Q-tips; Johnny needs an ear cleaning. That way, he will be sure to hear the teacher loud and clear when he says, “Sit down and get to work,” or “Pass your homework forward.” I’m seeing a pattern here...

I’m fed up the student who feels it is her right to pick and choose which assignments she will complete and which ones she will ignore just as deliberately as she would pick the olives off of her pizza and discard the crust. That is not what is meant by differentiated instruction.

I’m exhausted by the arrogant child who demands the majority of the teacher’s time, resources, and attention and then tries to make the agitated teacher feel guilty by sulking, “You don’t like me.” To this child I say, “I like everyone, but I’m afraid it is impossible for anyone to like you as much as you like yourself.” People who demand that much attention have been sorely misguided into thinking that the world revolves around them. A disservice provided by well-meaning parents who fear low self-esteem far more than social propriety, I suppose.

I’m amazed by parents who believe their children to a fault--even when a respectable adult has evidence to the contrary. Children lie. If you are too lazy to find the truth or too stupid to see it when it is staring you in the face, perhaps you need to spend a day in a third grade classroom–a practice that I believe would cure many of the social ills in this country. I think I’m on to something here...substitute teaching...America’s poor-parenting cure.

I’m increasingly frustrated by clerks in stores who act annoyed when you ask for the location of an item that is not in their “department.” I have news for them. The store is their department. Keeping their job is their department. Putting on a happy, helpful face is their department.

I’m amused by children who, while sitting at the computer, claim they can’t find the information they are looking for when they have the Internet staring back at them. You have the world at your fingertips, child. I’m sure you’ll find something–even if it is not in the “department” you searched first.

I’m tired of people (especially men) directing traffic at four way stops. We all went to driver’s ed. We know the rules. You drive your car; I’ll drive mine, mister.
Now, get out of my way...

No comments: